Follow us: Entypo-facebook Entypo-twitter

The new Mobile Harbour Crane series – Liebherr

Profile: Milaika Capella Ras

Milaika opens a new chapter

Just the right person

Incoming CSA General Manager Milaika Capella Ras has big shoes to fill, but the Association has found just the right person to replace long-serving Fernando Rivera. Milaika forms part of a fresh and younger CSA generation and brings to her new role extensive knowledge of the maritime sector as well as enviable numeracy and linguistic skills.

Milaika Capella RasQ. Where were you born and where did you grow up?

A. I was born and raised in Curaçao, a beautiful Island in the Caribbean.

Q. What language did you speak at home as a child?

A. At home I spoke Papiamentu. Papiamentu is my native language. My maternal grandparents came from Venezuela, so with them I spoke Spanish. The instruction language at school was Dutch, which is the other official language of Curaçao, besides Papiamentu.

Q. What did your parents do for a living and how big an influence were they on your life?

A. My Dad was born in Aruba, but he left the Island at a young age to travel as a ship engineer. At the age of 27, he settled in Curaçao, where he met and married my mother within a year of his arrival. In Curaçao, he worked at the drydock for many years, and later as a plant maintenance supervisor for a local contractor. My Mom was an Elementary Teacher and at young age I thought that I would also go into Education. My career choices were not necessarily impacted by my parents. I received a lot of love and support growing up that empowered me to choose my way.

Q. Where did you go to school and which university did you attend? In which subject(s) did you graduate?

A. I attended the University of the Dutch Caribbean, in Curaçao, where I completed the Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Banking and Insurance. In 2018, I returned to school to complete my Master in Business Administration (MBA) degree at the Inter-Continental University of the Caribbean.

Q. What was your first job upon leaving university?

A. Towards the end of my Bachelor’s degree, I interned at the RBC Royal Bank, and I was offered the opportunity to stay after my internship.

Q. Had you always wanted to work in the maritime sector?

A. No; it is pure coincidence that I ended up in the maritime sector. Directly following my graduation, I was offered employment at the RBC Royal Bank. However, I was not placed in a department that sparked my interest. So, I decided to apply for a few jobs in the banking sector. In the process of updating my résumé, I called the CFO of the Curaçao Ports Authority (CPA), whom I worked with on different projects in the Curaçao Lions Club, to ask if I could list him as a reference. He agreed, but also asked if I would be willing to assist him for a few months during the maternity leave of one of his co-workers. Upon her return from maternity leave, I was offered the opportunity to stay and manage the Finance Department of Caribbean Port Developers (CPD), a subsidiary of the CPA. What started as an interim job, while I would be interviewing for a career in the banking sector, resulted in my entrance into the maritime sector.

Q. When did you join the Curaçao Ports Authority (CPA) and in what position?

A. I officially joined Curaçao Ports Authority on February 1, 1999 in the Finance Department of Caribbean Port Developers.

Q. What roles have you fulfilled during your time with the CPA and what has been your biggest achievement at the Authority?

A. During my 21 years at CPA I fulfilled a variety of roles. Subsequent to the interim period in the Finance Department of CPA, I officially began my employment in the Finance Department of CPD. After five years at CPD, I was transferred to the commercial department of CPA with the primary task to set-up the real estate department. CPA holds a large portfolio of real estate in or adjacent to the ports that at that time had not received proper attention. I am proud of the fact that the commercial department has since become an indispensable part of CPA to spearhead development in the ports of Curaçao. During my tenure at CPA, I was also very involved with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) certification 9001 and 14001 of the CPA and its subsidiaries. I am a Certified Lloyd’s ISO Auditor specialized in ISO 9001 and 14001.

I am also proud of the fact that during my tenure I was asked to take on various additional tasks for a prolonged period of time. For instance, in the absence of terminal manager, I was tasked with the management of the operations of the cruise terminal for close to seven years. I was also asked to take on the responsibilities of PR and Marketing Manager during a prolonged vacancy in this area. Finally, I sat or led the organizing committees of conferences of the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA), American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) and CSA that were hosted by CPA.

Q. When did you first attend CSA AGM and what were your impressions?

A. The first CSA Conference that I attended was the CSEC held in Guadeloupe in May 2011. The first AGM that I attended was in Trinidad and Tobago in October 2016, where I was tasked by CPA with the presentation of the invitation to the CSEC to be held in Curaçao the following year.

Q. After a period of CSA Deputy General Manager, in September you will become general manager of the Caribbean Shipping Association. Are you looking forward to your new role and for the challenge?

A. I started on March 1, 2020 at the CSA as the counterpart to Fernando Rivera. Fernando’s long tenure at the CSA with various positions in the General Council culminating in the President of the CSA and lately as the organization’s general manager makes him a perfect mentor as he knows the organization and the maritime sector inside out. I am excited to take on this new role in my career. Nobody could have predicted that I would start this job in such a difficult period with the entire world under the pressure of the pandemic Covid-19. At the CSA we have also had to adapt to the “new normal” by reinventing our processes to maintain the contact with our membership, assist and support them in whatever they need. I am grateful for the support that I have received from the General Council, Fernando, the secretariat team, Dionne and Shorna-Kay and the Shipping Association of Jamaica Public Relations and Finance team.

During the past months, CSA has shown resilience and I have no doubt that the CSA is prepared to achieve new heights.

Q. Do you believe that your multi-lingual fluency will further enhance communications between the Caribbean’s main language groups?

A. I believe that my fluency in the languages Papiamentu, Dutch, English and Spanish do grant me an advantage in communication. However, I believe that the culture mix that I grew up with provides me a greater advantage. Curaçao is characterized as a melting pot of various cultures and languages and hence I am comfortable connecting with people with different backgrounds as I am easily able to find common ground. I promised my friends of the French islands, that soon I will communicate with them in the French language. Je ne vais pas les décevoir!

Q. What do you hope to achieve as CSA General Manager and what particular skills will you bring to the job?

A. In these turbulent times it is more important than ever for the CSA to be an important voice in the maritime sector and to continuously offer value to its membership. This will ultimately also lead to an increase of membership. The past few months have underscored the importance of technology. CSA has been able to maintain its connection with its membership through the introduction of an e-newsletter and a series of webinars. The success so far of these webinars have clearly demonstrated the viability of this medium to reach a wider audience.

CSA will continue to work closely with other organizations in the maritime sector to achieve its objectives and that of its membership. We also started a process to review various memoranda of understanding that were signed in previous years to identify and communicate the benefits and opportunities these offer to our membership.

Q. What have you learned from outgoing CSA General Manager and Past President Fernando Rivera who has served the Association with great distinction and for many years?

A. Fernando is a very charming gentleman. What you see is what you get! He will voice his opinion very clearly and without detours if he does not agree with something. He is then able to continue as if nothing happened. I admire that about him.

Q. Is it obviously disappointing for you that the CSA won’t be able to celebrate its Fiftieth anniversary in style this year in Puerto Rico and especially as you would have been officially installed as GM at the prestigious event?

A. It is disappointing that we have had to cancel the AGM in Puerto Rico for the first time in recent history as this is an important forum for everyone to connect with their peers and share ideas and knowledge in a social setting.

It would have also been the perfect retirement for Fernando with both the CSA and the Puerto Rico Shipping Association celebrating its 50th anniversary with the conference in his home town. However, I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason and that we will find a way to honor Fernando for his long and distinct service for the association.

Q. What’s the best advice you have received during your career and what advice would you give to anyone seeking a career in the maritime or ports sector?

A. You can always achieve your goal, as long you put in time, effort, and dedication. Push yourself outside your comfort zone, where there is opportunity to grow.

Q. Finally, can we ask you something about your personal life? And of your main interests outside of work in terms of hobbies, sports and leisure activities?

A. I am happily married to Stephen and we have two sons; Connor is 16 years old and Justin is 12 years old. So, I am the queen at home.

I am fascinated by travel. The ability to soak in a foreign culture, its people, food and music. We try as much as possible to explore and experience the country as locals would to get a genuine experience.

I love to cook. I like to try new recipes and I enjoy cooking for my family. Once a month, my friends and I go to a cook studio, where under the guidance of a chef we learn new recipes and cooking techniques. We cook, eat, drink wine and have a good time.

I don’t practice a particular sport, but I go to the gym at least three times a week and I use my treadmill at home. This is not something that I particularly enjoy, but it is a necessary part of my fitness routine.

Living on an island surrounded by beautiful beaches, we try to go the beach at least once a month.