Follow us: Entypo-facebook Entypo-twitter

The new Mobile Harbour Crane series – Liebherr

Profile: Fernando L. Rivera

A fond farewell from Fernando

Fernando Rivera steps down

It’s all change. After many years of loyal and exemplary service to the Caribbean Shipping Association, first as president and then as general manager, Fernando Rivera is stepping down. As he signs off, Caribbean Maritime takes this unique opportunity to interview Fernando.

Fernando Rivera
Q. What was life like growing up in Puerto Rico?

A. I was born in Jayuya, Puerto Rico, a small town in the center of the island. My grandfather owned a general store and both my parents worked in it. When I was 13 years old, my father decided to become independent and we moved to New Orleans. It was a big change, after being part of a family business, my father worked in a factory on an hourly salary. On the other hand, for me it was an important move, since I was able to learn English, necessary for my future professional life. We returned to Puerto Rico after three years, I finished my last year of high school and went to the University of Puerto Rico where I obtained my bachelor’s degree in business administration.

After high school, I started playing baseball and softball at the local leagues. In a couple of years, I was selected as a member of the Puerto Rico National Softball team, representing my country at international competitions such as Central American/Caribbean and Pan-American Games, obtaining various gold, silver and bronze medals. I was inducted into my hometown Sports Hall of Fame five years ago.

Q. Did you always want to be involved in shipping or did this happen by chance or by accident?

A. Upon graduation from university, I worked for six years at United Federal Savings and Loan Association as a Loan Officer and Branch Assistant Manager. While there, I applied and was hired for a sales position at Chevron Oil Latin America. I held various positions there. As Sales Manager, Harbor Bunkering Corp (Harbor Fuel Service) was my customer. One day, one of Harbor Bunkering’s owners, invited me to dinner and offered me a job. I accepted the offer – one of the best decisions of my life. Last year, I celebrated my 30th anniversary with the company. That was when I started getting involved in shipping, as I was Harbor Bunkering’s representative at the Puerto Rico Shipping Association (PRSA).

Q. When and where did you first attend a CSA meeting and why?

A. My first CSA’s meeting was in 1992 in the Dominican Republic, representing PRSA as its Vice President.

Q. In the early days of your membership who were those in the CSA you most admired or saw as your mentors?

A. During my close to 30 years involvement with CSA, I have met and worked with many important persons that have impacted me in a positive way, but there are three that I have to mention: Ludlow Stewart, Roland Malins Smith and David Harding.

When I started attending CSA meetings and met Ludlow Stewart, I was so impressed with him. Everybody wanted to talk to him. When finally, I had a chance to meet him, I found out that I was meeting a special person, a true gentleman. From there on, we became good friends. During my last year as President, we had our annual General Council meeting in Jamaica. Luddy invited all of us to his house. He was having serious health issues. While there he invited Carlos Urriola – who was to become CSA President – and myself to his office. He gave both of us a closed envelope in which he said had his recommendations to take the CSA to another level and he was sure that we were the right persons to do it. I can say that we have implemented over 90% of his recommendations.

Roland Malins Smith is another gentleman. He was the person you looked for when you had a question about our industry. Always smiling, always available for you, always telling you “good job” when things were going the right way, but also the first to give you advice when not. He had the art to get the best of you.

When I attended my first CSA meeting, I was asked by the President of PRSA to meet and say hello to David Harding on his behalf. He told me I was meeting a special person and he was right. It took me a while to be able to talk to him, as everybody wanted to do so. I remember people telling me, you are to meet “Mr CSA”. We became friends and I learned a lot from him. A few years later, he asked me to get more involved at the CSA, because he knew that I was going to be president in the near future. He was the one who nominated me to all the positions I had at General Council.

I must also mention three persons that have worked with me for the three years as President and eight as GM:

Stephen Bell was my general manager when I became president. We had so many things in common that he became more than an employee. He became and still is my brother. Thanks for all the good advice.

The only thing that I can say about Dionne and Shorna-Kay, our secretariat team, is that they are the best. When we see all the things accomplished with a staff of only two persons it is difficult to believe. Dionne was my right and left hand. Most of the times we agree on things and when not, she always had excellent advice. Some persons might have the wrong impression regarding Shorna-Kay because she is a shy lady, but once you are able to know her, you find a very smart lady, with a lot to offer.

Q. During your time in the CSA you have served as Vice President, President and General Manager and devoted much of working life to the Association. It’s been almost a lifetime of service and one of which you must be proud. But in your view, what were your biggest achievements during your three-year presidency of the CSA?

A. 1) Developing a year-round training program to our members. Before we probably had one training event per year. For the last few years, we have had over six training events per year. Able to do this thanks to the financial contributions of our members.

2) By improving the quality of our conferences and speakers, we were able to increase attendance and more sponsors, resulting in having a negative financial situation to an excellent position.

3) Significantly increase the participation of other non-speaking English territories. Presently we have French, Spanish, Dutch and English representation in General Council.

Q. In your view, how does the cruise shipping industry get back on its feet in the wake of Covid-19 and can things ever be the same again?

A. It will take a few years to get this industry back on its feet. In order to do this, we need to develop and implement new guidelines and knowing the importance of this industry to the destinations, I am sure we will be able to do it. It is very important that once these guidelines are prepared, and share with the destinations to make sure that everyone complies with them. I know that both the FCCA and CLIA are working very hard to have this done as soon as possible.

Q. Does Puerto Rico in general and San Juan in particular need to make changes for the returning cruise industry?

A. Like any other destination, Puerto Rico will have to adjust to the changes. I am sure we will do whatever is necessary to get this important part of our economy back.

Q. What do you plan to do now that you are retiring from the CSA?

A. CSA is a very important part of my life; I plan to continue attending the conferences and will always be available to assist if needed.

Q. Will you continue to work for Harbor Bunkering?

A. Plans are to continue working on a part-time basis.

Q. How disappointing was it for you personally and for the wider CSA, that this year’s Fiftieth anniversary CSA in San Juan had to been postponed and due to the global Covid-19 crisis and especially as it was also the PRSA’s 50th?

A. Everybody was very disappointed with the cancellation of this year AGM in Puerto Rico, as we were preparing to celebrate both CSA and PRSA Fiftieth Anniversaries, but we have to accept what is happening and continue preparations for a better one in 2021.

Q. Are you expecting to entertain everyone in San Juan in 2021 by singing “My Way”? (Let’s hope so)

A. I am sure that I will sing 'My Way' next year.