Follow us: Entypo-facebook Entypo-twitter

The new Mobile Harbour Crane series – Liebherr

Training

Cruise line helps sponsor maritime training program

Young people in Sint Maarten have been given an opportunity to launch careers in the maritime industry thanks to a joint effort by Holland America Line and two local maritime foundations, K1 Britannia Foundation and Kidz at Sea.

Following the severe impact of Hurricane Irma on Sint Maarten in September 2017, when 95 per cent of marine craft were damaged or destroyed, Holland America Line reached out to the K1 Britannia Foundation in March 2018 to find ways to assist the island in its long-term recovery.

Opportunities

Both the K1 Britannia Foundation and Kidz at Sea have a mission to provide young people with the tools and opportunities to succeed. Talks were held on how to provide training for young participants with a view to attaining jobs in maritime industry, especially in view of the current demand for vessel repairs. As a result, a fully sponsored maritime training program was set up by Holland America Line offering youth certification to the level of Coastal Captain with maintenance training.

training

The three-month course gave students the necessary skills and internationally recognized certifications to find a job and launch a career in the maritime industry. Students learned about sailing and boat maintenance while obtaining seven certifications. These included the small commercial vessel (CSV) Boatmaster 1 license for sailing vessels up to 36 ft and power boats up to 28 ft.

A total of nine participants completed the program successfully. One of the students, Khristopher Hinds, said: “I came into this course not knowing anything about sailboats, navigation and proper boat terminology. However, I can safely say from the day I started to now, my brain is full, knowing that when I’m done with this program, I am guaranteed a job because of my accomplishments. This course isn’t only just to give you your license – this is the stepping-stone to a successful career. My options are very broad.”

Pamela Baade of Holland America Line said the company was honored to partner with K1 Britannia on its disaster relief efforts. “Long-term recovery through job creation and a focus on youth is the reason we chose this project,” she said. “This program is changing lives for these young people.”

Sint Maarten’s maritime industry is at the core of island life. Equipping its young people with a range of maritime skills is an ideal way to help sustain that industry in the future.